Alan Stromberg has been Housemaster of Howson’s since 2010. The most recent addition to the household, during Lockdown, has been Monty the black labrador puppy.
Alan has taught Mathematics at Gresham’s since 2006. Before that, he was commissioned for 19 years in the Royal Engineers, having specialised as a surveyor and geodesist. As well as coaching hockey and cricket, he assesses expeditions in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award scheme as well as organising the school’s overseas Exchange Programme.
The House was built, along with the other original buildings on the site, in 1900 and the first pupils boarded from 1902. It was the original boarding house and was also the home to the Headmaster, George Howson, after whom it is now named. Within its marvellous stately exterior is a very modern boarding community, with day and boarding pupils mixing seamlessly and it remains a homely place for both study and relaxation. There is a full boarding ethos in the House: during the week and especially at the weekends the boys can take advantage of games rooms, a large common room with snooker table, newspapers, Smart TV and a lovely log fire. The House has full Wi-Fi coverage and a lovely outdoor space (colonnade) next to the sports pitches for summer BBQs and so on.
Most day pupils have their own study. Year 9 and Year 10 boarders share a twin dormitory. All Year 11 and Sixth Form boarders have their own study bedrooms.
The House staff cultivate a friendly, supportive and purposeful environment in which the boys can both relax and do their prep, supporting the wider curriculum.
Families who are considering Gresham’s for their son are most welcome to visit us at Howson’s.
Howson’s House Guide
- Assistant Housemaster – Mr Philip Baker, Teacher of English
- Resident Tutor – Mr Tarun Shah, Teacher of Physics
- Matron– Mrs Catherine Dennard and Mrs Gemma Helps
- Cleaning Staff – Clair Copeman, Lauren Brown, Lyndsey Elderton and Monica Howard
Other Academic Tutors:
Mr Sam Curtis, Mr Justin Myers, Mr Andrew Coventry, Mr Tom Howland, Mr James Thomson, Mr Simon Gates and Mrs Henrietta Robinson are all tutors in Howson’s.
House Appointments 2020-2021
- House Captain: Arthur Woodhouse
- Deputy Head of House: Frederick Todd
- School and House Prefect: Joseph Oxtoby
- House Prefects: Oliver Bailey, Harry Bidwell, Edward Bowden, Alexander Claybourn, Paul Deslande, Jacob Dhom, Nicholas Dugdale, Oscar Harrison, Jack Reader, Hector Robb, Alexander Roper, Oliver Thomas.