Dr Emma Fern has been Housemistress of Edinburgh since 2014. Formerly Head of Sixth Form at Gresham’s, she teaches History and enjoys running with the school’s cross-country team. Emma is married to Chris, an archaeologist. They have two young children, Charlotte (9) and Rose (7) and two labradors, Monty and Betty.
Before joining Gresham’s, Emma taught at Ampleforth College, York, where she was the Assistant Housemistress in a girls’ boarding house for five years.
Edinburgh currently has 68 boarders and day pupils. It is situated close to the main school buildings and it benefits from open views over playing fields towards the school woods. It was designed by Nicholas Hare and opened by HRH Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh in 1987. In 2017, the Common Room extension was completed; it has bi-folding doors which open up onto the girls’ much-loved garden.
In Edinburgh we pride ourselves on our nurturing and friendly family atmosphere in which our girls’ unique talents and interests are valued. We are keen to support our girls’ ideas; the girls are always at the heart of House initiatives. Last year this included, among other activities, designing and making our garden furniture, planning and leading a charity entertainment evening, raffle and auction, and sourcing and naming our House chickens! Indeed, we want our girls to work hard, to be involved fully and positively in all aspects of School life, to make the very most of their learning opportunities and to give 100% in all their activities at Gresham’s. We are very proud of our strong House spirit and of the strong friendships which are made across and between year groups. Whilst our girls are encouraged to be kind and caring, these friendships also are nurtured by in-house events, such as our popular Bake Off competition and by year group and inter-house socials. On a weekend we often eat as a House ‘family’: pizza making is especially popular! We are keen that our girls learn how to achieve balance in their busy school lives too: the girls enjoy trips to the sea and yoga lessons in the Common Room.
Edinburgh provides comfortable accommodation for girls. On entry (13+) boarders share dormitory accommodation and study in a separate, supervised, area. Girls then move to study bedrooms, accommodating two to four. Senior Upper Sixth girls have single rooms. Day girls are fully integrated into the House and share studies with boarders.
Staff accommodation is integral to the House, allowing girls easy access to the Housemistress, Matron and Assistant Housemistress. Edinburgh has generous recreational areas; a junior study room, a large common room, House kitchen, two kitchenettes, an Upper Sixth Room and plenty of outside space, including access to grass tennis courts in the summer term. There is a dedicated IT room as well as Wi-Fi connection to the school network.
Do visit us, you are assured of a warm welcome.
Residential House staff
- Edinburgh girls are supported and guided by an experienced and dedicated team.
- Alma Santiago Carbajo, who teaches Spanish, is our new Assistant Housemistress. Alma joins us from St Edwards’s, Oxford where she has worked for the past six years.
- Nicola Francis-Lubbock is Edinburgh’s much-loved House Matron who is well known for her warm and caring personality. Nicola has worked with children and young people for 36 years; girls regularly seek her advice and support knowing that they will get a knowledgeable and sympathetic hearing. Nicola’s sons attended Gresham’s: Rupert (F, 1984) and Toby (H, 1987).
- Our Prep tutors, who supervise the girls during Prep time, include: Miss Cann, Teacher of Biology and Psychology; Dr Hammond, Teacher of French and Spanish; Mrs van Hasselt, Head of English; Ms Howman, Teacher of Chemistry; and Mrs Myers, Head of Well-Being and Teacher of Learning Support.
- Our Evening Duty Tutors include: Mrs Mack, Teacher of Biology; Mrs Matthams, Teacher of Games and Learning Support; Mrs Reece, Assistant Director of Music and Miss Thompson, Teacher of English.
- Angie, Deborah, Linda and Hayley are our House Cleaning team.
House appointments 2018-19
Head of House: Clementine Chapple
Deputy Heads of House: Sophy Kenyon and Romy Sipek
Head of School: Molly Sankey
School Prefect: Isobel Thurston