Dr Emma Fern has been Housemistress of Edinburgh since 2014. Formerly Head of Sixth Form at Gresham’s, she teaches History and enjoys running with the school’s cross-country team. Emma is married to Chris, an archaeologist, They have two young children, Charlotte (9) and Rose (7). The Fern family have a Labrador called Monty.
Before joining Gresham’s, Emma taught at Ampleforth College, York, where she was the Assistant Housemistress in a girls’ boarding house for five years.
Edinburgh currently has 68 boarders and day pupils. It is situated close to the main school buildings and it benefits from open views over playing fields towards the school woods. It was designed by Nicholas Hare and opened by HRH Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh in 1987. In 2017, the Common Room extension was completed; it has bi-folding doors which open up onto the girls’ much-loved garden.
In Edinburgh we pride ourselves on our nurturing and friendly family atmosphere in which our girls’ unique talents and interests are valued. We are keen to support our girls’ ideas; the girls are always at the heart of House initiatives. Last year this included, among other activities, designing and making our garden furniture, planning and leading a charity entertainment evening, raffle and auction, and sourcing and naming our House chickens! Indeed, we want our girls to work hard, to be involved fully and positively in all aspects of School life, to make the very most of their learning opportunities and to give 100% in all their activities at Gresham’s. We are very proud of our strong House spirit and of the strong friendships which are made across and between year groups. Whilst our girls are encouraged to be kind and caring, these friendships also are nurtured by in-house events, such as our popular Bake Off competition and by year group and inter-house socials. On a weekend we often eat as a House ‘family’: pizza making is especially popular! We are keen that our girls learn how to achieve balance in their busy school lives too: the girls enjoy trips to the sea and yoga lessons in the Common Room.
Edinburgh provides comfortable accommodation for girls. On entry (13+) boarders share dormitory accommodation and study in a separate, supervised, area. Girls then move to study bedrooms, accommodating two to four. Senior Upper Sixth girls have single rooms. Day girls are fully integrated into the House and share studies with boarders.
Staff accommodation is integral to the House, allowing girls easy access to the Housemistress, Matron and Assistant Housemistress. Edinburgh has generous recreational areas; a junior study room, a large common room, House kitchen, two kitchenettes, an Upper Sixth Room and plenty of outside space, including access to grass tennis courts in the summer term. There is a dedicated IT room as well as Wi-Fi connection to the school network.
Do visit us, you are assured of a warm welcome.
Residential House staff
- Edinburgh girls are supported and guided by an experienced and dedicated team.
- Keely Thompson is our Assistant Housemistress. Keely has been resident in Edinburgh since 2016; she is a teacher of English.
- Nicola Francis-Lubbock is Edinburgh’s much-loved House Matron who is well known for her warm and caring personality. Nicola has worked with children and young people for 35 years; girls regularly seek her advice and support knowing that they will get a knowledgeable and sympathetic hearing. Nicola’s sons attended Gresham’s: Rupert (F, 1984) and Toby (H, 1987).
- Anne Untereiner, French Assistant, also lives in Edinburgh House and helps with evening duties.
- Our Prep tutors, who supervise the girls during Prep time, include: Dr Hammond, Teacher of French and Spanish; Mrs van Hasselt, Head of English; Ms Howman, Teacher of Chemistry, Mrs Myers, Head of Well-Being and Teacher of Learning Support and Dr Tsai, Head of Mandarin.
- Our Evening Duty Tutors include: Mrs English, Head of Careers and Teacher of Learning Support; Mrs Mack, Teacher of Biology; Mrs Reece, Assistant Director of Music and Mrs Matthams, Teacher of Games and Learning Support.
- Affiliated staff member: Mr Myers, Head of Music Technology.
- Angie, Deborah, Linda and Hayley are the House Cleaning Staff.
House appointments 2017-18
Head of House: Mio Nevin
Deputy Heads of House: Daisy Brucki and Evie Wills
Junior Mentor: Daisy Rennison
House Prefect: Nikol Koleva
Head of School: Daisy Quick
School Prefect: Daisy Brucki