Dr Emma Fern has been Housemistress of Edinburgh since 2014. Formerly Head of Sixth Form at Gresham’s, she teaches History and enjoys running with the school’s cross-country team. Emma is married to Chris, an archaeologist. They have two young children, Charlotte (10) and Rose (8) and a labrador, Betty.
Before joining Gresham’s, Emma taught at Ampleforth College, York, where she was the Assistant Housemistress in a girls’ boarding house for five years.
Edinburgh currently has 68 boarders and day pupils. It is situated close to the main school buildings and it benefits from open views over playing fields towards the school woods. It was designed by Nicholas Hare and opened by HRH Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh in 1987. In 2017, the Common Room extension was completed; it has bi-folding doors which open up onto the girls’ much-loved garden.
In Edinburgh we pride ourselves on our nurturing and friendly family atmosphere in which our girls’ unique talents and interests are valued. We are keen to support our girls’ ideas; the girls are always at the heart of House initiatives. Last year this included, among other activities, designing and making our garden furniture, planning and leading a charity entertainment evening, raffle and auction, and sourcing and naming our House chickens! Indeed, we want our girls to work hard, to be involved fully and positively in all aspects of School life, to make the very most of their learning opportunities and to give 100% in all their activities at Gresham’s. We are very proud of our strong House spirit and of the strong friendships which are made across and between year groups. Whilst our girls are encouraged to be kind and caring, these friendships also are nurtured by in-house events, such as our popular Bake Off competition and by year group and inter-house socials. On a weekend we often eat as a House ‘family’: pizza making is especially popular! We are keen that our girls learn how to achieve balance in their busy school lives too: the girls enjoy trips to the sea and yoga lessons in the Common Room.
Edinburgh provides comfortable accommodation for girls. On entry (13+) boarders share dormitory accommodation and study in a separate, supervised, area. Girls then move to study bedrooms, accommodating two to four. Senior Upper Sixth girls have single rooms. Day girls are fully integrated into the House and share studies with boarders.
Staff accommodation is integral to the House, allowing girls easy access to the Housemistress, Matron and Assistant Housemistress. Edinburgh has generous recreational areas; a junior study room, a large common room, House kitchen, two kitchenettes, an Upper Sixth Room and plenty of outside space, including access to grass tennis courts in the summer term. There is a dedicated IT room as well as Wi-Fi connection to the school network.
Do visit us, you are assured of a warm welcome.
Residential House staff
- Edinburgh girls are supported and guided by an experienced and dedicated team.
- Dr Diaz, Assistant Housemistress in Edinburgh, is responsible for Edinburgh House one night a week, and every other Saturday night/Sunday. Dr Diaz received a doctorate from the University of East Anglia and teaches Spanish at the Senior School.
- Rebecca Spedding is Edinburgh’s much-loved House Matron.
- Tutors: Ms Boxleitner, Teacher of German; Miss Cann, Teacher of Psychology; Dr Hammond, Teacher of French and Spanish; Mrs Mack, Teacher of Biology; Mrs Matthams, Teacher of Games and Learning Support; Mrs Myers, Head of Wellbeing and Teacher of Learning Support; Mrs O’Donnell, Teacher of English; Mr O’Leary, Teacher of Art; and, Ms Wolfe, Assistant Director of Music.
- Angie, Deborah, Linda and Hayley are our House Cleaning team.
House appointments 2019-20
Head of House: Tyler Munro
Deputy Heads of House: Charlotte Moulton and Elle Matthews
School Prefects: Jessica Beeson
House Prefects: Maddie Gainher, Stacey Huang, Charlotte Odlin, Isabel Pallister, Lucy Reader, Keeley Roe, Isabella Schmid, Verity Wills.