Francis Retter has been Housemaster of Woodlands since September 2005. He is married to Sophie and they have two sons, William (18) and George (13). Francis and Sophie taught in Munich before coming to Gresham’s in 1997, swapping the Alpine climes of Bavaria for the charms of north Norfolk.
Francis teaches French and German and coaches Cross Country, Football, Athletics and Kayaking. He holds the Professional Development Certificate in Pastoral Care and Boarding Management with Roehampton University, and has a Diploma in Boarding with the Boarding Schools Association (BSA). He is currently studying a Masters in Education at the University of Cambridge in October.
Sophie works as the Overseas Pupils’ Co-ordinator and is in charge of the English as a Second Language Department (ESL), as well as being a Year 10 academic tutor in the boarding house. Woody, Womble and Jemima are the canine additions to the household.
Woodlands benefited from a major refit in 2005/6. It offers dormitory accommodation for Year 9 and Year 10 boarders and individual rooms for Year 11 and Sixth Form boarders. Day boys also have a room, sometimes shared. The House is situated near the Sports Hall on the Holt town side of the campus. The House has its own computer room and has full Wifi coverage.
There are currently 66 boarders and day pupils in Woodlands.
- The Assistant Housemaster is Mr Ryan West. He is resident in the House and is available to help boys with their studies and for pastoral care. He is Head of Japanese, teaches both Japanese and Mathematics and coaches badminton. He is a Year 9 academic tutor in Woodlands.
- The House Matron is Mrs Tracey Cameron. She has a flat in the House and is responsible for a wide range of pastoral and practical issues.
Academic Tutors in Woodlands
- Mr A Gray – Director of Art, Design & Technology
- Mr J Bowley – Director of Music
- Mr S Brown – Head of Geography
- Mr M Gillingwater – Biology and Chemistry
- Mr T Hipperson – Deputy Head (Academic)
- Mr T Philpott – Head of Biology
- Mr A Richardson – Mathematics
- Mr J Myers – Music Technology
House Appointments 2018-19
Head of House and School Prefect
Deputy Head of House
Daniel Adams and Matthew Mason