Dr Emma Fern teaches History and formerly was Head of Sixth Form at Gresham’s. She took over the running of Edinburgh in September 2014 from Sonia Radley who was Housemistress for 13 years.
Before joining Gresham’s she taught at Ampleforth College, York, where she was the Assistant Housemistress in a girls’ boarding house.
Dr Fern is married to Chris, an archaeologist. They have two young children and a labrador called Monty.
Edinburgh currently has 66 boarders and day pupils. It is situated close to the main School buildings and it benefits from open views over playing fields towards the School Woods. It was designed by Nicholas Hare and opened by HRH Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh in 1987.
The House provides comfortable accommodation for girls. On entry (13+) boarders share dormitory accommodation and study in a separate, supervised, area. Girls then move to study bedrooms, accommodating two to four. Senior Upper Sixth girls have single rooms. Day girls are fully integrated into the house and share studies with boarders.
Staff accommodation is integral to the House, allowing girls easy access to the Housemistress, Matron and House Tutor. The House has generous recreational areas; a junior study room, a large common room, house kitchen, two kitchenettes, an Upper Sixth Room and plenty of outside space, including access to grass tennis courts in the summer term. There is a dedicated IT room as well as a wifi connection to the school network.
Residential House staff
- Keely Thompson is our Resident House tutor and Year 9 tutor. Keely teaches in the English department.
- Nicola Francis-Lubbock is the Edinburgh House Matron. Nicola has worked with children and young people for 34 years. Her sons attended Gresham’s: Rupert (F, 1984) and Toby (H, 1987).
- Paula Matthams assists with evening duties; she is a Year 9 tutor and teaches Sport and Learning Support.
- Vicki English, Head of Careers and teaches Learning Support, she is also a Year 9 tutor and assists with evening duties.
- The Prep tutors, who supervise the girls during Prep time, include: Dr Hammond, Teacher of French and Spanish; Mrs van Hasselt, Head of English; Mrs Myers, Head of Well-Being and Teacher of Learning Support; Ms Howman, Teacher of Chemistry; and Miss Henson, Gap Sports’ Assistant.
- Affiliated staff member: Lynne Roberts. Lynne is Head of Music (Prep School) and teaches Brass.
- Angie, Deborah, Linda and Hayley are the House Cleaning Staff.
House appointments 2016-17
Head of House: Sian Roberts.
Deputy Heads of House: Ellie Brown and Henny Hovenden.
House Prefects: Jessica Bromham and Vicky Howell.
Head of School: Zara Raslan.
School Prefects: Amelie Thomas, Giada Vancini.
Edinburgh is a friendly, welcoming House where girls are encouraged to be themselves. We work hard and strive to make the very most of all the opportunities on offer at Gresham’s. Girls lead through example and support each other in their endeavours. We aim to provide a family atmosphere, where each girl feels a sense of belonging and support. Do come and visit us.