Alan Stromberg has been Housemaster of Howson’s boys’ boarding house since 2010, and lives there with his three sons: Benjamin, Nicholas and Oliver. Poppy the black lab is 12 months old.
Alan has taught Mathematics at Gresham’s since 2006. Before that, he was commissioned for 19 years in the Royal Engineers, having specialised as a surveyor and geodesist. As well as coaching hockey and cricket, he assesses expeditions in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award scheme and has recently taken over the role of Head of Lower Years.
The House was built, along with the other original buildings on the site, in 1900 and the first pupils boarded from 1902. It was the original boarding house, and was also the home to the Headmaster after whom it is now named, George Howson. Within its marvellous stately exterior is a very modern boarding community, with day and boarding pupils mixing seamlessly, and it remains a homely place for both study and relaxation. There is a full boarding ethos in the House: during the week, and especially at the weekends, the boys can take advantage of a computer suite, games rooms, a large common room with pool table, newspapers, Sky television and a lovely log fire. The House has full Wi-Fi coverage.
All day pupils have their own study. Year 9 and Year 10 boarders share a dormitory with one or two others. All Year 11 and Sixth Form boarders have their own study bedrooms. Howson’s currently has 69 boarders and day pupils.
The House staff try to cultivate a friendly, supportive and purposeful environment in which the boys can both relax and do their prep, supporting the wider curriculum. Families who are considering Gresham’s for their son are most welcome to visit us at Howson’s.
- Resident House Tutor – Mr Chris Reed, Teacher of Physics
- Resident Matron – Mrs Susan Lancaster.
Cleaning Staff – Caroline, Margaret and Mary; Mal and Trevor.
Other Academic Tutors:
- Mr Sam Curtis, Teacher of Mathematics and Rugby, Tennis and Pop concert impresario
- Mr Mike Matthams, Head of Science and Squash
- Mr David Bailey, Teacher of Design and Technology, rugby coach and CCF instructor
- Mr Tim Keen, Learning Support Department, is an academic tutor
- Affiliated staff: Father Bryan Roberts, Mr T Keen, Mr A Coventry, Mr S Adams, Mr JRP Thomson and Mr S Gates.
House Appointments 2015-16:
House Captain: Mark Heath
- House & School Prefects: Henry Coleman, James Matthews
- House Prefects: Ben Brinsden, Lars Kreisel and William Dugdale
If you are a new parent looking for information about the House, please view our Parents’ Information Booklet above.