Katrina Mousley is the current Housemistress of Oakeley House and started at Gresham’s in September 2012. Katrina lives in Oakeley with her husband Andrew, who works in the Catering department at the Prep and Pre-Prep along with their two daughters, aged 8 and 5, who attend the Pre-Prep.
Katrina loves travelling, walking, camping and exploring especially prehistoric landmarks. She also enjoys cycling, swimming and reading. When she is not in the House she can be found teaching Spanish and French to Senior level in the Library block. Katrina is an avid supporter of human rights and helps run the Gresham’s Amnesty International Youth group. She also likes to promote awareness of ecological issues and encourages the Oakeley girls to be green!
Oakeley House, the oldest of the girl’s houses, is named after Dick Bagnall-Oakeley, Old Greshamian, Geography teacher at Gresham’s (1933-’68), and radio and TV presenter of Natural History programmes.
Built in 1903, situated on the south side of the Cromer Road, the ‘House’ was the School Sanatorium until the mid-late 30’s when what is now Britten House was built for the role. It then became staff accommodation until about 1972 when girls started to join Gresham’s in small but steadily growing numbers.
The ‘new’ East Wing at the Library end, was built in 1977/’78, and the girls’ house accommodating 50, was finally established. When numbers in Oakeley reached 100 a second girl’s house (Edinburgh) was opened.
In 1988 an extension was built to accommodate junior boarders and the Cottages were given a major overhaul in 1994 to provide more senior boarding accommodation. The rather quaint and quirky, ‘rabbit warren’ nature of the House that has resulted from this evolution generates a homely feel which appeals to many of our girls.
The boarder’s accommodation is quite varied in style, the largest dormitories housing just four Year 9 or Year 10 pupils. Most rooms in the House are double bed-sits and we hope to provide Upper Sixth pupils with a room of their own. Wherever possible the day girls are integrated in rooms with the boarders.
Total number of pupils currently in Oakeley 68 with 37 boarders (figures correct at time of posting).
You can now follow Oakeley House on Facebook.
- The House Matron is Ms Denise Bunkell. She has been the full time residential matron of Oakeley since 2001 and has the Professional Practice Certificate in Boarding Welfare and Pastoral Care. She is responsible for a wide range of pastoral and practical issues and as a parent of two boys who were at the School as boarders in Woodlands, she has experience of the School from both sides of the fence.
- Mrs Louise Barden is Head of the Modern Languages department and a Sixth Form tutor. In addition to teaching French and Italian, Louise also teaches Pilates as a girls’ games option. She has been at the School since 2007 and her daughter Olivia was in Oakeley, too. She is a keen swimmer, walker, cake-maker and shopper! Having taught study skills for many years and written her own study skills course, she is a great believer in lifelong learning, and to that end has been having singing lessons for two years, and started learning Japanese this year. She also goes to yoga classes, where her goal for this year is to learn to stand on her head!
Other Academic Tutors:
- Sophie King – Geography teacher
- Caroline Jefford – French and Spanish teacher
- Anna Watt – Head of French
- Stephanie Gates – Head of Learning Support
- Carola Haas – German teacher