STEAM week was a great success
This year’s STEAM week was a great success. Pupils from across the Senior School had the opportunity to take part in various activities, ranging from a paper plane competition to hearing from one of our OGs, who is the Aerodynamicist for F1 McLaren Racing. Further activities included:
- Michelle and Charlotte from Canham Consulting joined us in the Makerspace to discuss roles in the Engineering industry whilst supporting Junior and Senior pupils while they made paper planes.
- OG Kunz Chow gave a talk to Senior and Junior pupils on his role as an Aerodynamicist for F1 McLaren Racing. He even brought some real F1 kit that the pupils loved – including a helmet that Fernando Alonso has used!
- Junior and Senior pupils took part in a paper plane competition to see who could make and throw a paper plane the furthest through the Dyson Building. Winners received a trophy and vouchers.
- We welcomed Emma and Liz from Costain to give an inspiring talk during chapel on the HS2 project and to promote STEAM industries to female pupils. Emma and Liz then joined lessons in the Dyson building for relaxed Q & A sessions.
- Marcus Stead-Hall gave a talk during the Wednesday evening of STEAM week on his role as a Simulation performance engineer for Red Bull Racing and he gave advice on the best educational route for pupils aspiring towards similar roles. Over 100 pupils attended this meeting online from 5 different local schools.
Careers and the STEAM coordinator worked closely for STEAM week to organise a variety of industry speakers throughout the week and a careers fair which all Houses and pupils attended to showcase to pupils the diverse variety of roles and employment within STEAM. Twenty-seven employers, including nine OGs attended from creative, engineering, environment, conservation, medical, aviation, construction, renewable energy, science, technology, aerospace services sectors to talk to pupils about their projects and day-to-day work. This gave pupils an opportunity to understand more about how their STEAM education may be reflected in potential careers in industry.
If you would like further information on the STEAM Fair please contact Head of Careers, Sue Osborne at firstname.lastname@example.org
Video created by the Gresham’s Digital Leaders