DR EMMA FERN, HOUSEMISTRESS
Dr Emma Fern has been Housemistress of Edinburgh since 2014. Emma is married to Chris, an archaeologist. They have three children, Charlotte, Rose and James, as well as a friendly labrador, Betty.
Edinburgh House has a kind, warm and friendly atmosphere where all the girls’ talents and interests are valued and nurtured. Emma is keen to support the girls’ ideas: they are always at the heart of House events and initiatives. Our ethos is to be kind, to work hard, and to make the very most of our learning opportunities. We are very proud of our strong House spirit. The girls are supportive and inclusive, with strong friendships made across and between year groups. Whilst the girls are encouraged to be kind and caring, their friendships are nurtured by regular and popular House events, such as our popular Bake Off competition and year group and whole-house socials. We love our House dinners and our annual concert event. We really enjoy trips out locally, such as to Weybourne beach to watch the sunset, as well as to Wells and Holkham. On a weekend. we often eat as a House ‘family’: pizza making is especially popular!
Edinburgh is situated close to the main school buildings and it benefits from open views over playing fields towards the school woods, as well as its own flower-filled south-facing garden. Edinburgh House was designed by Nicholas Hare and opened by HRH Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh in 1987. In 2017, our Common Room extension was completed; it has bi-folding doors which open onto the girls’ much-loved garden with our House chickens and a vegetable patch. We have plenty of outside space including a grass tennis court behind the house. We have three kitchen spaces for the girls to relax and socialise in too.
On entry (13+), boarders share a lovely dormitory overlooking the school fields and study in a separate, supervised, area. Girls then move to study bedrooms, accommodating two to four pupils. Senior Upper Sixth boarders have single rooms. Day girls share studies with boarders.
Emma is passionate about supporting the Edinburgh girls academically and pastorally. She completed a doctorate in History at the University of York. She teaches History, and is involved in the School’s cross-country running and sailing. In her free-time she loves baking, travelling in her campervan, kayaking and water colouring.
Staff accommodation is integral to the House, allowing girls easy access to the Housemistress, Assistant Housemaster and Resident House tutor. We have three families who live in residency, Dr Fern’s family, together with those of Assistant Housemaster, Joe Cowan and Resident House Tutor, Susanne Boxleitner.
Do visit us, you are assured of a warm welcome.
Edinburgh House Guide
Residential House staff
Edinburgh girls are supported and guided by an experienced and dedicated team.
- Mrs Liberman, Assistant Housemistress, is very much involved in the day-to-day running of the House. Mrs Liberman studied Science and Dental Technology, but after several years she decided that she preferred working with children and retrained as a swimming teacher and coach. Mrs Liberman is Head of Swimming and a CCF Officer in the Army; she has worked at Gresham’s School for over 20 years and loves getting involved in all aspects of School life. Mrs Liberman lives in Edinburgh with her husband Nathan who also works at Gresham’s, and her Labrador Charlie.
- Mrs Boxleitner is our Resident House Tutor. She supports Dr Fern and Mrs Liberman in all House matters. Mrs Boxleitner graduated from Munich University and holds a degree in German, Slavic Studies and History. She is a fountain of knowledge of all matters IB, baking and also loves getting involved in the theatre. She teaches German and IB German Literature.
- Lesley and Michelle are our Matrons. They support all aspects of the girls’ health and wellbeing, and run the household. They are both brilliantly kind and supportive, and love spending time with our girls.
- Our non-residential tutor team includes: Mrs Boxleitner, Teacher of German; Miss Cann, Teacher of Psychology; Mrs Challis, Head of Spanish; Dr Hammond, Teacher of French and Spanish; Mrs Knightbridge, Head of PE; Mrs Myers, Head of Wellbeing and Teacher of Learning Support; Miss Shah, Graduate Musician and Accompanist; Mrs Thomson, Teacher of Learning Support; Mr Leeson, Teacher of Art; and, Mrs Wolfe, Assistant Director of Music.
- Angie, Deborah, Linda and Hayley are our committed and experienced House Keeping team.
House appointments 2022-23
- Head of House: Lily
- Deputy Heads of House: Phoebe
- House Perfects: Alice, Annabel, Bea, Summer, Maisie, Jade, Tanya, Alisa