DR EMMA FERN, HOUSEMISTRESS
Emma Fern is Housemistress of Edinburgh. She joined Gresham’s in 2012 and teaches History. She has three children; her husband, Chris, is an archaeologist. Emma is passionate about supporting the Edinburgh girls in all aspects of their Gresham’s lives. In her free time, she loves spending time travelling with her family in their campervan, sea swimming and water colouring.
In Edinburgh Emma and her team strive to create a friendly family environment where all of the girls’ talents and interests are nurtured and valued. They are keen to support the girls’ ideas and initiatives. The Edinburgh House ethos is to be kind and friendly, to work hard, and to make the most of their learning opportunities. We want the girls to thrive across different areas of the School and to make lasting friendships. We are very proud of the girls’ achievements across different areas of School life, of our strong House spirit and of the strong friendships which are made across and between year groups.
Edinburgh House enjoy regular House socials, including termly year group and whole-House dinners and social events, and boarder local trips, such as to Weybourne beach to watch the sunset, as well as to Sheringham, Holkham and Wells. The girls enjoy cooking, baking, and meals together, as well as an annual Bake Off Competition. They really enjoy their yearly Black Tie dinner and entertainment evening. The girls are supported in raising money for charities close to their hearts; we are proud to recently have raised the funds to send a child on a Dreamflight.
Edinburgh is situated close to the main school buildings and it benefits from open views over playing fields towards the school woods, as well as its own flower-filled south-facing garden. Edinburgh House was designed by Nicholas Hare and opened by HRH Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh in 1987. In 2017, our south-facing Common Room extension was completed; it has bi-folding doors which open onto the girls’ much-loved garden with our House chickens and a vegetable patch. We have plenty of outside space including a grass tennis court behind the house. We have three kitchen spaces for the girls to relax and socialise in too.
On entry (13+), boarders share a lovely dormitory overlooking the school fields and study in a separate, supervised, area. Girls then move to study bedrooms, accommodating two to five pupils. Senior Upper Sixth boarders have single rooms. Day girls share studies, sometimes with boarders.
Staff accommodation is integral to the House, allowing girls easy access to the Housemistress, Assistant Housemistress Tania Liberman and Resident House tutor, Sarah Knightbridge.
Do visit us, you are assured of a warm welcome.
Edinburgh House Guide
Residential House staff
Edinburgh girls are supported and guided by an experienced and dedicated team.
- Mrs Liberman, Assistant Housemistress in Edinburgh, is very much involved in the day-to-day running of the House. Mrs Liberman is Head of Swimming; she has worked at the school for over 20 years. She loves getting involved in all aspects of School life, she is a CCF officer in the Army Section and loves going to Bisley with the Rifle Club. Mrs Liberman is incredible at baking and cooking treats for the girls; she helps to organise and run our House trips. Mrs Liberman, her husband Nathan, and black labrador Charlie, live in Edinburgh. She can be found in the House or at the swimming pool. She is always available for a chat.
- Mrs Knightbridge is our Resident House Tutor. She supports Dr Fern and Mrs Liberman in all House matters. She is on duty sometimes at weekends but is generally around and about the House. She is a Sports Science graduate and Head of PE. Aside from her passion for sport, she loves music and plays the piano and flute. She loves singing and enjoys regular trips back home to London to go to the theatre. Mrs Knightbridge, her two sons, and her husband (when he is not working on the Golf Tour) live in Edinburgh.
- Lesley and Michelle are our Matrons. They support all aspects of the girls’ health and wellbeing, and run the household. They are both kind and supportive, and love spending time with our girls.
- Our non-residential tutor team includes: Miss Cann, Teacher of Psychology; Mrs Challis, Head of Spanish; Mr Girling, Head of Performance and Vocal Studies; Dr Hammond, Teacher of French and Spanish; Mr Johnson, Teacher of English; Mrs Knightbridge, Head of PE; Mrs Myers, Head of Wellbeing and Teacher of Learning Support; Mr Stromberg, Teacher of Maths; Mrs Thomson, Teacher of Learning Support; and, Mrs Wolfe, Assistant Director of Music
- Angie, Deborah, Linda and Hayley are our committed and experienced House Keeping team who have each worked in Edinburgh House for 10 years or more.
House appointments 2023-24
- Head of House: Rosie