One year GCSE course (Pre-IB)
This one year course in Year 11 offers students the chance to study seven or eight GCSE subjects and is excellent preparation for students to start the IB Diploma or A Levels a year later. It is also known as a Pre-IB course.
For the majority of students entering Year 11, the following subject combination is recommended:
- English Language (possibly Literature, if previously studies enable it)
- English as a Second Language (where applicable)
- 1 Humanity History, Geography, Religious Studies
- 1 or 2 Sciences from: Biology, Chemistry, Physics
- 1 Modern Foreign Language ( French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin)
- 1 or 2 option subject
The following options are also available and students can choose one or two:
- 3D Design
- Fine Art
- Computer Science
- Physical Education (PE)
This combination will equip students with 7/8 GCSE qualifications at the end of Year 11 whilst maintaining a manageable workload.
Students are fully integrated with mainstream classes. In addition, we offer English as a Second Language lessons to non-native speakers and additional teacher-directed study periods in order support students in taking this intensive course.
Alongside their academic study, pupils are able to take part in part in the full range of sporting, musical, arts and community activities that a Gresham’s education offers. They will also be integrated into our boarding house system.
Why choose Gresham’s for a one-year GCSE course?
- Full integration with mainstream classes and the school’s programme of co-curricular activities.
- Extra classes for non-native English speakers and extra teacher-directed study periods for full academic support.
- A wide range of academic subject options.
- The choice to take the IB Diploma or A Levels upon completion of your course at Gresham’s.
- Proven academic success; we are one of the first schools to offer a one year GCSE programme and have almost ten years of experience.
- Study at a school rated ‘excellent’ in all nine categories of our recent ISI inspection.
What are the requirements for entry?
- Students must be 15 years old on entry to the course in September.
- Students must have a level of English equivalent to B2 of the Common European Framework or 5.0 at IELTS.
- School reports will be taken in to consideration.
- Applicants must complete the school’s own entrance papers in Maths and English.
- Applicants will be interviewed, either as part of a visit to the school, or via Teams.
For further information or to make an application, please contact the Admissions Team on 00 44(0)1263 714614 or email email@example.com